Friday, May 8, 2009

The Music Of Love?

When it comes to music, I like to listen to music that I’m sure I wouldn’t feel comfortable playing around a nice, LDS girl if we were to go on a date. I like to listen to many different genres of music. I like heavy metal, techno, alternative and others that I’m not going to take the time to list. So, my question today is: When you’re in a relationship with a girl, and she doesn’t approve of the music you listen to, what do you do? Do you just stop listening to that kind of music all together? Or do you just not listen to it around the girl?

I’d hope that the girl wouldn’t want you to stop listening to the music because, honestly, the music I listen to is part of who I am and I’d really, really hope that the girl would like me despite what I choose to listen to. I know that language in music is a real sore spot for most LDS girls, which it should be, but if they were to just look past that at the rest of the song, I’m sure they’d like it. Yes, I remember that picture from The New Era of the cockroach in the ice cream, and I remember the message associated with it. But, sometimes you have to just eat around the cockroach and enjoy the rest of the meal.

Today, however, there are alternatives to eating around the cockroach. Most places that sell music now sell both the original, unedited version of the songs, as well as edited versions of the songs that cut out most, if not all, of the language. I usually try to buy the edited versions, but I’ll be the first to admit that my entire music library is not clean.

So, this brings me back to my original question? What do you do in a relationship when the girl doesn’t agree with what you’re listening to? How do those of you that are married or dating deal with the problem? Let me hear some of your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment