Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bundles Of Joy

I’m going to take a break from talking about dating and single life and talk about something that I find amazing. Just yesterday, I was at a hospital while my brother and his wife were having their first baby. I was out in the hallway with the rest of my family, but I got to hear the first cries of the newborn baby. Now, I know that this is not my baby, but I still found it to be an amazing experience. And baby Jaden is even more amazing. When my brother brought him out to see the rest of us, I couldn’t stop smiling. Jaden (the baby) wasn’t crying, but had a look of concentration on his face as his little eyes searched around him seeing everything for the first time. I’m now an uncle for the first time ever. I can’t wait for the moment when I have my first child. I know that raising children is a very hard, time consuming task, but I can’t think of anything that would be more fulfilling.


I read in the news that our President Obama is still trying to get people to come over to his side on the issue of abortion. I will say this now: I will never be pro-abortion. I can’t understand why anyone in their right mind would be okay with aborting a child. A life is a life no matter how old or developed it is, and ending that life is murder. Just looking at the adorable face of my newborn nephew and thinking of how it would be if he had been aborted makes me terribly sad. I know that, when politicians talk about it, the issue of abortion is referred to as “an issue of choice”, but if people really believed that it was about choice, they would never abort a baby. What about the baby’s choice? Does the baby even have a say in the matter of whether he gets to live? No. The baby has to live or die by whatever choice his mother makes. Something about that doesn’t seem fair to me. (Please note that I use the term ‘baby’ and not fetus. It’s just my choice of words.) Even if the child someone is carrying within them was brought about against their will, it’s my opinion that the baby should still be given a chance. Besides, if you became pregnant against your will and decide to abort the baby, aren’t you also taking away the free will of the baby? (Yes, I am aware that there are extenuating circumstances that would change this, but I'm not talking about rape. I'm talking about when people are having protected sex willingly and get pregnant anyway.) There are plenty of other options out there besides abortion. Adoption is the first idea that comes to my mind. There are so many couples out in the world that would love to have a child of their own but, for medical reasons, are unable to. Why not give them the option of raising your baby if you feel you are unequal to the task?


I know that there are people out there who will disagree with me. But I know there must be people out there who feel the same way as I do. What are everyone else’s thoughts on abortion? Share them with us in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment