Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Beauty: Mind

Okay, in the last post, I talked about why physical attraction is important in a relationship. Today I’m going to talk about some of the other, deeper things about a girl that I find attractive.The first thing that comes to my mind is intelligence. If a girl is not able to carry on an intelligent conversation with me, then it’s highly unlikely that she and I will end up together. I’m an avid reader and have been since I was 3. I love to pick up a book and get lost in the world within it. (In case you can’t tell, I also love to write.) One of the first things I will ask a girl when deciding whether we would work in a relationship is whether or not they like to read. It’s really quite depressing to me how many of them will tell me that they hate to read and only do so when they absolutely have to. Any time I get a response like this from a girl, it’s already clear to me that we would never work together. Intelligence should always be fairly high up on anybody’s list of traits they look for in a partner. If you are only focusing on the physical traits of a person (the surface) you’re heading for a train wreck. I can personally attest to this fact. You need to be interested in more than just a person’s body, and if you can’t think of anything else about a person that attracts you, you should probably just move on to someone else. The human mind is a wonderful thing when it’s used, so find someone who uses theirs. No relationship is ever going to last if the two people cannot connect on an intellectual level as well as a physical level.

In a previous post, I talked about how being with someone who is smarter than you can be intimidating, and it can. But that shouldn’t be something that you let get in the way of a great relationship. It should really just be a sign to you that you need to smarten up. Go back to school, learn more, read more. That’s the beauty of the human mind; it’s always learning. If you really love a person and want to be with them, then you should be willing to make sacrifices to make them happy. And they are going to be happier if they can connect with you intellectually.

What about everyone else? How important is intelligence to you when it comes to relationships?

Beauty Part 1: Body

Beauty Part 2: Mind

Beauty Part 3: Soul

1 comment:

  1. I actually kind of have a difficult time with trying to explain this one because to tell you the honest truth, this is kind of where some of my own personal flaws come into play. It's not that I'm not capable of intellegent conversation with anyone, in fact anyone who knows me at least SHOULD fully well know this anyways. It's really more in just the fact that when it comes to actual conversational skils, I really struggle with them a lot. I could go on all day talking about how so I am, but I guess I figure maybe that's a good topic idea for another time.

    I do think though that when it comes down to finding someone you can have an intellectual connection with, it is possible to be quite picky in this sense as well. I do think that it is very important to find someone you can have intellegent conversations with in the first place, but I don't really think it's necessarily all that important to have the deepest, most thought provoking conversations with anyone you'll ever have or anything like that. Just really someone you can share your opinions and feelings about certain things with is all. Basically I don't think they need to be the greatest geniouses in the world or anything, just someone competent enough that you can actually talk about interesting stuff with once in a while.

    ReplyDelete