Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bomb Dates


Okay, I'm sure I've told you plenty of thoughts and ideas I've had for dates, some of them were probably good, some not so good. But, have any of you ever been on a date that just tanked? I'm not talking about a date where you felt awkward around the other person. No, I'm talking about a date that will go down in your personal history as a terrible, no good date; a date that followed all the laws of Murphy. (Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.)


I've had a couple that I can think of. I won't share the gritty details of them, but I'll just say this: I still use the stories of those dates to scare small children into never wanting to date. I mean, they were some of the worst experiences of my social life. I'm not saying that the person I was with was a terrible person or anything like that, but it just seemed that we didn't really "click" and probably never would, but we were stuck with each other for at least a few hours, although it seemed like much longer to me.


I think I actually will share one of my bad dating experiences with you. One date in particular stands out to me. It was actually the first date I ever went on, ironically. It was my junior year of high school and I had been asked to the Christmas dance by a very good friend or mine. It seemed that it would be a great way to start dating. But, alas, such was not to be. Everything seemed to crash on this date. During the day activity I think I only saw my date once, as she seemed to want to hang out and talk to anyone but me. Dinner was really the only part of the date that seemed to go well, although my date once again seemed more interested in the other people at the table. As for the actual dance? Well, my date and I slow danced for about 25 seconds of one song, then she decided that she'd much rather drag me around the room and talk to her friends. I think I said maybe one complete sentence to my date the whole time we were there. Needless to say, it wasn't the grand entrance into the dating scene that I'd hoped for.


I could go on with other horror stories from my dating life, but I think I'd much rather hear from the rest of you. Have you been on a particularly terrible date? What made it so bad? Was it the person you were with? The activity? The doorstep scene? Share your stories with us.

5 comments:

  1. Mine was also at a Christmas dance. I really didn't want to go, but people around me had taken away all of my excuses as to why I couldn't go. My dad paid for the tickets and found me a date. Meagan (my sister) provided me with a group. And a man my sister used to work for provided me with a dress. So I went. The guy seemed okay at first. During the day activity thingummy, we had lots of fun, but once we got to the actual dance, everything changed. He completely zoned into his own little world. It was as if I wasn't there at all. He only acknowledge my presence during the slow songs simply because he needed a partner to dance with. After that, I disappeared again. I went off on my own to get a drink after a while because he wouldn't come with me, and people started getting on my case for ditching my date, but he was the one who basically ditched me...so let's just say I was relieved when it was all over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, actually, pretty much the majority of the dates I've been on have been pretty crummy. And all but one of them that were undoubtedly were because of me, actually. It's actually a very big reason why I don't date much, because I've come to find that it's really something that I don't do very well.

    The one in particular that wasn't because of me though was quite blatantly obvious that it was a pitty date. Me and my best friend were both asked out to our very first high school dance by two girls that were WAY out of our league. Bascially they were both girls that we went to elementary school with that knew how much we used to get picked on back then and also actually knew that we had one of those silly little elementary school crushes on them back then as well. It was quite sad, actually....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @LauraBelle: Ouch. I think I can honestly say I know how you feel with that date. Funny that yours was at a Christmas dance as well. I think you did the right thing by leaving him alone. If he's not going to pay attention to you when he's on a date with you, then he's not worth your time. It makes me sad when I hear of a cute girl, such as yourself, been shafted on a date, especially when it was you doing the asking. Let me just say this to people like your date: If someone asks you out and you say yes, be a good date to them. They probably worked themselves into a frenzy planning things for you. Don't do things to make the date awkward.

    @BroEl: Ouch to you too. Sad that you have such a bad dating history. Dating is supposed to be one of the fun things in life, not one we look back on with dread. And as for the two "out of your league" girls, they shouldn't have treated you like some kind of charity case. If they were going to ask you out, they should have done it because they were genuinely interested in you, not because they felt bad for you. It bothers me when people do that. (Speaking from experience.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, at least it hasn't been all bad though. Over the past year or so I think is when I've finally been able to go on a few dates where I actually really enjoyed myself, so I am kind of starting to get a bit more comfortable with it. I just wish sometimes that I had more competency with the whole dating scene than I do is all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @BroEl: I totally know what you mean. I've been on a fair few dates, but I always wish I had more experience as far as dating goes. Almost all the dates I've been on recently, could have gone better, in my opinion. But, I guess the only way to have better dates, is for me to actually start going on them, which I have kind of stopped doing. Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete