Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What if...


Have you ever thought about how your life would be different if you didn't grow up in the religion you did? I never really have, but a good friend of mine asked me that exact question a while back and it got me thinking. What would my life be like if I wasn't LDS? Would I still have the same morals and values I have now? Would I smoke or drink? Would I be covered in tattoos and piercings? What religion would I be? What type of people would I date?


I honestly don't know. I'm pretty sure I can answer a few of these questions, such as the smoking one. Smoking is stupid no matter what religion you are. And I'm pretty sure I would not be covered in tattoos and piercings. (That's not to say that I wouldn't have one or two of each.) But as for dating? I'm really not sure. As it is, I don't just date LDS girls. In fact, my high school girlfriend was Catholic. I think that, even if I didn't grow up LDS, I would still try to date upstanding girls rather than trashy, skanky ones. There's just something really attractive about a girl who cares about who she is and what she stands for, LDS or not.


But, I do think it would be a little bit more... freeing to not have to limit myself to marrying only LDS girls. I can think of several non-LDS girls I've met that I would gladly date, but I don't simply because of the fact that we would not be able to get married in The Temple. And I'm not trying to say that I want to marry outside of the church, nor that I plan to. But, there are a lot more options for marriage when you broaden your dating horizons.


What do you all think? What would your life be like if you weren't LDS? (Or if you weren't the religion you are?) What would you do differently with your life?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm, that's a really interesting thought. I've never thought about it myself, but I suppose if I wasn't LDS I can't imagine life really being all that different, to tell you the truth. It'd be different in some certain aspects, like what I've learned from the teachings of the gospel and what presence it's had in my life and how that would affect my all around happiness in life without it. But as far as my standards are concerned, I honestly don't know. A lot of the church's standards really are pretty much just common sense if you think about it. Some aren't really though, so I don't really know where I'd be in those particular areas. I do know though that personal preference wise I wouldn't have any tattoos or piercings or anything, as just the sheer sound of doing so has always made me cringe whether it's had to do with me being Mormon or not, heh heh. ^_^'

    I don't really date much already as I am though, so I'm not entirely sure it'd be much different in that area at all, heh heh. ^_^' Even when it came down to who I'd fall for, I'd probably still fall for pretty much the same kind of girl. I think that sort of thing has more to do with who you are than it does what your personal standards are. So with that said I definitely still wouldn't date anyone really trashy or skanky. I think that's pretty well known common sense in the first place. I think the same thing goes for the kind of friends I'd have as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I have absolutely no idea. My religion is my lifestyle and all I've ever really known. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have any piercings or tatoos cuz I don't like needles. I still don't have my ears pierced. As for dating choices...I'd be a mess. Considering all the dumb choices I've made while being LDS and trying to live those standard, I would probably be somewhere that I wouldn't be happy, and I wouldn't know how to go about getting away from those situations because I wouldn't have that extra strength and knowledge to help guide me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know for a fact if I didn't live in the religion that I am in, I know where I would be. It isn't a good feeling, nor is it a good thought. It's a good thing that God told Joseph Smith what was right and what was wrong. I know that he placed those things here so that we can be protected.

    I have gone though a whole lot of challenges in my life, and I'm very blessed to be still standing and knowing that God loves me and everyone else around me. I am very blessed to have repentance and knowing that I can return to him still. My family goes in different directions now. It's sometimes hard to watch. Yet I have to keep watching myself and where I'm going.

    I don't think that I do things because of the name "I am mormon, so I can't..." I know the reason why I do what I do. Is because I was given Choices and have been told what the consequences would be if I did. I have tried different things and have seen that they are not right things to do, and that the church is right. I don't doubt that what we have been taught is true. So I don't do those things because I believe very strongly and just don't. Dose that make any since???

    So It does scare me that is I wasn't LDS where I would be. I don't really like to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think if I hadn't grown up in the church, I would at least have a lot more piercings (though just on the ears, everywhere else looks silly) and probably a tattoo or two.

    As for dating, well, every guy I've dated was LDS and most of them still weren't great....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is an interesting thought. You basically have to do the whole "Back to the Future" thing and go back and change one thing in your life and figure out how that would change things.

    @Sarcasm397: I totally feel for you on the dating front. You really have dated some scumbags who were LDS.

    ReplyDelete