Friday, July 2, 2010

That's The Way The Cookie Crumbles

Break ups are one of the hardest things we're going to have to deal with as single people. After, or during, a break up, your emotions are running as high and hard as a river in Spring and a lot of the things you're feeling, you've never felt before and you just don't know how to handle them. If you've never been through a break up with anybody, consider yourself lucky. Nobody wants to have to deal with those feelings. I don't think that anything I write about on here today will make anybody's break up easier, but I'd like to talk about them anyway. And if you can think of anything I miss, feel free to tell me so in the comments.

Breaking up with someone isn't an easy process. most people don't just decide overnight that they're going to end things. Usually, they'll think about it over an extended period of time to make sure that it's the right decision for them and for the other person. They know that what they're thinking of doing is going to hurt the other person, and nobody really wants to intentionally do something to hurt someone else.

You hear a lot of people say that, when they break up with someone, they're going to try to let that someone down easy so there are no hurt feelings. Sadly, it hardly ever works out that way. When you break up with someone, you're basically telling them that you reject them, be it after a month with them or after 2 years with them, and there's no "easy" way to say that to someone. Feelings are going to be hurt and there will probably be tears involved, which is normal. I know a lot of people don't like to cry, but if that's what it takes to make you feel better, there's no reason not to.

So, if there's no easy way to break up with someone, how do the people you break up with feel better about it faster? Well, honestly, I find the best way to deal with a break up is to share. You have friends and family who care about you for a reason. Talk to them about what you're feeling, they'll listen to you. If they're really your friends, they'll help you through all the hard times in your life without expecting anything in return. Vent as much as you can about what you're going through, it's going to help you a lot. The more you talk about it, the easier it's going to be to deal with, which means you'll feel happier faster.

After a break up, you need to make sure that you focus on You for a while. It may sound selfish, but it's true. Fill your time with things that are going to make you happy. Surround yourself with people that are going to make you laugh. When you're happy and laughing, the little things like the break up are going to shrink into insignificance and before you know it, it won't be on your mind at all anymore.

So, there's my thoughts on break ups. I hope they were helpful for all my readers. Did I miss anything? If so, don't be afraid to let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I can tell that you posted this after reading my blog. I appreciate the words of encouragement, you are a great guy Bryson, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit, I was inspired by reading your blog. I've been meaning to write about break ups (again?) for a while now, but it was your blog that brought all this out.

    ReplyDelete